Abstract Field (ABST)
The Patent Abstract field is a brief description of the invention. It is usually about a paragraph long.
The Patent Abstract field can be searched using the ABST field code.
The examples below can be used in conjunction with any number of other field codes to construct complex queries.
- ABST:wireless --> Finds instances of documents with "wireless" in the patent abstract.
- ABST:"coffee maker" --> Finds the string "coffee maker" in the patent abstract, exactly as typed.
- ABST:(endoscope camera) --> Finds documents with both the term "endoscope" and the term "camera" in the patent abstract. If no Boolean operator is used (as is the case here), AcclaimIP assumes a Boolean AND.
- ABST:(peanut OR butter) --> Finds documents with either term in the patent abstract. Documents with both terms are also returned.
- ABST:("peanut butter" NOT jelly) -- Finds documents with the string "peanut butter" but NOT the term "jelly" in the patent abstract.
- ABST:("peanut butter"~3) --> Finds documents where the term "peanut" is within three terms of "butter" in the patent abstract.
How NOT to search the ABST Field
ABST:surgical clip --> Finds documents with "surgical" in the patent abstract and "clip" in the Default Field set. You have to use quotes or parentheses to find both terms in the patent abstract field. Otherwise, AcclaimIP assumes you want to search the Default Field set for the terms not immediately following the colon (:).