Specification Field (SPEC)
The Patent Specification (also called the description) is usually a long text block describing the invention and the best modes of the invention. The specification is usually several pages long, but can be hundreds of pages long.
The Patent Specification can be searched using the SPEC field code.
The examples below can be used in conjunction with any number of other field codes to construct complex queries.
- SPEC:wireless --> Finds instances of documents with "wireless" in the specification.
- SPEC:"coffee maker" --> Finds the string "coffee maker" exactly as typed in the specification.
- SPEC:(endoscope camera) --> Finds documents with both the term "endoscope" and the term "camera" in the specification. If no Boolean operator is used (as is the case here), AcclaimIP assumes a Boolean AND.
- SPEC:(peanut OR butter) --> Finds documents with either term in the specification. Documents with both terms in the specification are also returned.
- SPEC:("peanut butter" NOT jelly) --> Finds documents with the string "peanut butter" but NOT the term "jelly" in the specification.
- SPEC:("peanut butter"~3) --> Finds documents where the term "peanut" is within three terms of "butter" in the specification.
How NOT to search SPEC Field
SPEC:surgical clip --> Finds documents with "surgical" in the specification and "clip" in the Default Field set. You have to use quotes or parentheses to find both terms in the specification. Otherwise, AcclaimIP assumes you want to search the Default Field set for the terms not immediate following the colon ( : ).