You can customize your research session by changing your settings in your Preferences. For example, you can determine which collections or patent authorities you want AcclaimIP to search by default. Some other Preferences you can set include:
- Look and feel of the application.
- Change the default size of many of the windows in the application.
- Change how many results appear per page.
- Change which data columns appear by default.
- Set the default date range searched.
- Turn word stemming on or off by default.
- Turn highlighting on or off by default.
- Modify auto-save settings such as how many recent searches AcclaimIP remembers automatically.
- Set the idle time before AcclaimIP automatically logs you out and terminates your session.
Access your preferences by choosing the Preferences option from the Start menu.
Watch this Video to Learn How Preferences Affect Your Searches
NOTE: This is a video based on an older version of AcclaimIP. The layout is going to look a little different to you, but the ideas are still the same. Therefore, we are leaving it here for the time being as it gives you a really good sense of what you can do and how you can customize your search and AcclaimIP in general to suit your needs. Just be aware that the layout presented in the video and your layout is going to be a bit different.
The Preferences window is organized by a series of tabs that cover different sections of the application.
To set your preferences:
- To open, click Start>Preferences.
- Make changes.
- Click Save.
Setting Columns and Column Order
AcclaimIP lets you determine which columns appear by default when you execute a search. AcclaimIP has over 50 columns which can appear in your search results. Most searchers want to see from 6 to 10 columns depending on the type of search they are doing.
Notice on the left are the available field codes which will vary depending on the type of plan you purchased. If you want them to appear in your search results by default, you can add them into the selected field set by dragging and dropping them or using the arrow keys. You can add more than one at a time by using the shift or control key and highlighting more than one before you add them. Within the selected field set, you can change the order in which the columns appear by dragging and dropping, or by using the arrow keys once you have highlighted the field code you want to move. You must click Save in order for the changes you have made to your defaults to take effect. Clicking Close without saving your new preferences will keep your previous preferences intact.
Steps for setting default columns:
- Open Start>Preferences>Result Grids (tab)
- Drag and drop the columns from the Available field set to the Selected field set.
- Click Save button
If your account has Custom Fields enabled, the fields you defined, and to which you have rights, will appear in the Custom Fields section in the Preference window. If you do not have Custom Fields enabled, then this section will not appear in your preferences.